Tuesday 6 November 2012

Potty training

Potty training
Potty Training


When to start potty training?

There has been a recent rise in the people doing "young" or "infant" training beginning around 4-6 months and in some cases earlier and I think there are some benefits to training infants and toddlers.

How do I know if  my child ready to be potty trained?


There is no "right" age to potty training a child, but there are things to look for when you want to see if your child is ready. Check to see if he/she shows the signs of readiness.
 
Signs of Readiness below:

Physical Readiness
  • Able to sit, stand, and walk with ease
  • Bowel movements are regular
  • Stays dry during naps and night-time

Motor Skills
  • Pull pants up and down with ease
  • Can undress themselves

Cognitive &  Verbal Development
  • Able to say common potty words
  • Stops what they are doing to poop in diaper
  • They understand simple instructions

Emotional & Social Awareness
  • Shows interest in other people going potty
  • They imitate behavior


Strategies for potty training 2-4 years



Potty training tips
  1. No age is exact for toilet training.
  2. Watch for me to grimace at dirty diapers, show you my wet
  3. pants and stay dry for up to 2 hours.
  4. I need to be verbal enough to understand toilet training.
  5. Change me as soon as possible; tell me it’s nice to be clean
  6. Let me have a toy to keep me happy and busy on the pottychair.
  7. Put me on the potty briefly at first (up to 5 minutes).
  8. Teach me the family words for toilet training.
  9. Dress me in easy to remove clothing.
  10. Be patient and never scold me.
  11. Visit the potty before going somewhere.
  12. Help me wipe and teach me to wash my hands.
  13. Please how me how to flush.
  14. Praise any efforts and encourage your child to let you know when he/she need to go potty. Scolding doesn't work, positive reinforcement DOES!

You can reward you child for desired potty behaviors such as:

  • taking his pants down by himself
  • sitting on the potty
  • going in the potty
  • flushing when done
  • washing their hands when done



Use potty training chart to follow your success.

Potty training chart
Potty Training Chart {Free Printable}

Download and print this free printable potty chart (in his and hers versions) to get little ones excited about the potty. Secure a set of pages together (instructions included) to create a tear-away notepad for easy charting. Your child will love to get a reward every time he completes a chart.

Post a potty training chart near the potty for easy reference.
You can create your own potty training chart that reflects your specific goals and methods for potty training. 

1 comment:

  1. I was very pleased to find this site. I definitely enjoyed reading every little bit On Childcare and I have it bookmarked to check out new stuff posted regularly.

    ReplyDelete